Head of Department
Øster Farimagsgade 5, bygning 26, 1353 København K, 26, Building: 26.1.37
Born June 17, 1957 in Copenhagen, Denmark
University of Copenhagen, M.A. in Economics (Cand.polit) 1984, University of Copenhagen, Ph.D. in Economics, 1989 , (thesis title: Unemployment in market economies, supervised by Birgit Grodal)
Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, University of Copenhagen, 1995 –
Department Head, Department of Economics, University of Copenhagen, 2010-
Associate Professor, Institute of Economics, University of Copenhagen, 1989-95
Post Doctoral Fellow, Institute of Economics, University of Copenhagen, 1987-89
Ph.D. student, Institute of Economics, University of Copenhagen, 1984-87
Member of Centre for Industrial Economics, 1996-2013. (Director 2000-2008)
Associate member of Economic Policy Research Unit, 1998-
Research fellow in CES-ifo Research Network, 1999-.
Head of the Starprogramme, Economic Policy in the Modern Welfare State, University of Copenhagen, 2008-2012
Director of the Centre for Industrial Economics, 2000-2008
Editor Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 2000-2005
Chairman of the board of the research centre, Centre for Economic and Business Research, 2005-2009
Chairman of the board, FORA, 2003-2004
Advisory committees and competition council
Chair, the Danish Competition Council, 2012–
Co-Chair, the Danish Competition Council, 2005 –2011
Member of the Danish Competition Council, 2001 –
Member of The Danish Prime Minister's Advisory Board for the Faroe Islands, 1998-2002
Member of Revisorkommissionen, (The Danish Audit Commission) 2009-
Chairman of the board, Centre for Economic and Business Research, 2005-2009
Chairman of the board, FORA, 2003-2004
Member of the board "Lønmodtagernes Dyrtidsfond", (Danish Workers’ Pension Fund) 1998-.
Member of Nationalbankens Repræsentantskab (The Board of Directors, The Danish Central Bank), 2014-
Co-chair Nationalbankens Repræsentantskab (The Board of Directors, The Danish Central Bank), 2015-
Department Head, Department of Economics, Uni of Cph, March 2010-
Acting Head of Department, Department of Economics, Uni of Cph , Oct 2009-March 2010
Deputy Head of Department, Department of Economics, Uni of Cph, 2008-2009
Director of Ph.D. studies at the Department of Economics, Uni of Cph, 1994-2008
Member of the board of the Department of Economics, Uni of Cph, 2004-2008
Director of the Danish Graduate Programme in Economics, 1997-2005
Member of the board of the Nordic Network in Economics, 2003-2008
Member of the Study board at the Institute of Economics, Uni of Cph, 1989-1992
Member of the external steering group for Department of Administration, University of Greenland, Oct 2009-March 2010
Visiting Scholar, Department of Economics, University of California, Davis, 1986
Visiting Scholar, Department of Economics, Harvard University, 1992-93
Visiting Professor, Copenhagen Business School, 1995
Major Fields of Interest:
Market regulation and incentives
Editor, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 2000-2005
Associate Editor Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 1996- 2000, 2005-
Member of the Panel of Economic Policy, 2007-2008
Associate Editor The Manchester School, 1997-
American Economic Review, American Political Science Review, Canadian Journal of Economics, Economics Letters, European Economic Review, European Journal of Political Economy, Games and Economic Behavior, International Economic Review, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Journal of Industrial Economics, International Journal of Industrial Organization, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy; Journal of Public Economics, Journal of Public Economic Theory, The Manchester School, Nationaløkonomisk Tidsskrift, Oxford Economic Papers, RAND Journal, Review of Economic Studies, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Resource and Energy Economics, Labor Economics, Journal of Economic Theory, Economics of Governance, Journal of European Economic Association.
Political Economy, Industrial Organization, Game theory, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics.
External Lecturer, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen 1999-2005
External Lecturer, Royal Danish Agricultural University, 1994-1998
2003 Winner of the “Invisible Hand”, “The Invisible Hand Award is awarded to a lecturer at the Institute of Economics at University of Copenhagen who has shown an outstanding teaching performance”
7Ph.D. (Karsten Staehr, Norges Bank’s forskningsafdeling), Trine Filges (SFI), Claes Bengtsson (DG Comp, Chief Economists Office), David Dreyer Lassen (Professor, Økonomisk Institut, København), Michala Ehlers (Danish Competition Authority), Frederik Silbye (DONG), Mie la Cour Sonne (Copenhagen Economics) and numerous (100+) masters students
External Examiner: University of Aarhus, University of Odense
University of Aarhus, University of Odense, Copenhagen Business School, Royal Danish Agricultural University, University of Lund, Stockholm School of Economics, University of Helsinki, University of Tampere, University of Turko, University of Copenhagen, University of Birmingham, University of Alicante, University of Uppsala, University of Stockholm, University of Turko, University of Oslo, Aachen University, Fróðskaparsetur Føroya/University of the Faroe Islands
Program committee work:
Member of the Program Committee: ESEM Toulouse 1997, EEA Berlin 1998. EEA Santiago de Compostella 1999, EEA Lausanne 2001, EPCS Aarhus 2003, and EARIE Helsinki 2003, NORIO V, Reyklavik, 2005, EARIE, Amsterdam 2006, EARIE 2012, EARIE 2013, EARIE 2014, EARIE 2015
Evaluator for Norges Forskningsråd, Young Researcher Star-Programme 2005
Evaluator for the Finnish Research Council, 2006
Panel evaluator, European Research Council, 2007
Member of the expert committee evaluating the Department of Economics and the Department of Socio-Economics, University of Zürich, 2007
Member of the nomination committee for Assar Lindbeck Medaljen, which is given to the best Swedish Academic Economist below 45, 2007, 2009
Member of evaluation committee (Ledamot) Riksbankens Jubilæumsfond, Stockholm, Sweden, 2010-2011
Member of evaluation committee, Evaluating the teaching of Economics in Sweden for Swedish National Agency for Higher Education, 2011.
Member of evaluation committee, Hanken School of Business, Helsinki, Finland Nov 2012
Member of evaluation committee, Social Sciences, European Science Foundation, December 2012
Member of evaluation committee, Social Sciences, European Science Foundation, 2013
Member of panel in social sciences European Science Foundation, evaluation for the Portugeese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT). Evaluation of R&D Units 2013-2014
Econometric Society European Meetings: Bologna 1988, München 1989, Cambridge 1991, Maastrict 1994,
Econometric Society European Winter Meeting, Sandbjerg 1989.
Econometric Society World Meetings: Barcelona 1990, Tokyo 1995, Seattle 2000, London 2005.
European Economic Association Conferences, Bologna 1988, Augsburg 1989, Lisbon 1990, Cambridge 1991, Istanbul 1996, Toulouse, 1997, Berlin 1998, Santiago de Compostella 1999, Lausanne 2001, Venice 2002, Stockholm 2003, Madrid 2004, Barcelona 2009.
Public Economic Theory Conference, Duke University 2004, Hanoi, 2006
Econometric Society European Winter Meeting, Sandbjerg 1988
Econometric Society Winter Meeting Anaheim, California, USA 1993
Conference on Macroeconomics and the Labor Market, Oslo 1989.
Nordic economics conference, “Marstrandmødet”,1989
Warwick Summer Workshop on the New Macroeconomics, 1993.
International Conference on Recent Developments in the Macroeconomics of Imperfect Competition, Paris 1994.
Stony Brook Game Theory Conference, 1994
CEPR European Summer Symposium in Macroeconomics, Tarragona 1994.
1st International Conference on Economic Theory, Alternative Approaches to Macroeconomics, Madrid 1994,
3rd International Conference on Economic Theory., Santiago de Compostella 1996
Research network TM2 conference on macroeconomics, Paris 1996
Asset conference, Alicante, 1996, Rethymion 2002
Instability, Inefficiency, and Public Policy: Lessons from Dynamic General Equilibrium Models", Paris 1999.
"Macroeconomics", Toulouse 1999
“XII conference on Game Theory and Applications”, Bologna 1999
"European Public Choice Conference" Sienna, 2000
Yrjo Jansson workshop on industrial economics, 2002
EARIE, Helsinki 2003
Norio IV, Copenhagen, 2004, Norio V, Reyklavik, 2005
Association for Competition Economics Conference, Copenhagen 2005
American Economic Association Conference, Boston 2005
CEPR, European Summer Symposium in Economic Theory, Gerzensee, 2007
University of Alicante, University of Amsterdam, University of Bergen, University of Bologna, University of California, Davis, Essex University, Harvard University, Lund University, Stockholm School of Economics, Delta, Paris, University de Cergy-Pontoise, Paris, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Queen Mary College, CentER Tilburg, IGIER, Boconni University, Milan, Aarhus University, KVL, Copenhagen, Copenhagen Business School, IIES, University of Stockholm, Université de Toulouse, Oslo University, Penn State University, IUI Stockholm, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, Universität Heidelberg, Tel Aviv University, Warwick University, Aarhus Business School, Göteborg University, University of Helsinki, Yale University, Purdue, University of Illinois, Bloomington, Wissenschaftscentrum Berlin, INSEAD, University of East Anglia, Norwich, Carlos III, Madrid, Institut d’Analisi Economica, Barcelona
Publications Christian Schultz
- " A Macro Model of Conjectural Equilibrium, Scandinavian-Journal-of-Economics; 88(3), 1986, pages 489-509, with H.J. Jacobsen.
- ''On the Existence of Conjectural Equilibria with a priori Chosen Rationing Patterns'', European Economic Review, 31, 1987 (with H.J.Jacobsen).
- ''A General Equilibrium Macro Model with Wage Bargaining'', Scandinavian Journal of Economics, vol 92, no 3, 1990 (with H.J. Jacobsen)
- ''Undominated Wage Rates in a Unionized Overlapping Generations Economy'', European Economic Review, 1991 (with H.J. Jacobsen)
- ''The Impossibility of Involuntary Unemployment in an Overlapping Generations Model with Rational Expectations'', Journal of Economic Theory, vol 58, 1992
- ''Wage Setting and Stabilization Policy in a Game with Renegotiation'', Oxford Economic Papers, vol 44, 1992 (with J. Driffill)
- ''Decreasing Unemployment Increases Welfare'', Scandinavian Journal of Economics, vol 94, no3, 1992 (with H.J. Jacobsen)
- 11. ''The Effectiveness of Economic Policy in a General Equilibrium Model with Wage Bargaining and Rational Expectations'', European Economic Review, vol 38, no 2, 1994, with H.J. Jacobsen
- ''A Note on Strongly Renegotiation Proof Equilibria'', Games and Economic Behavior, vol 6, 1994
- ''Renegotiation in Repeated Cournot Duopoly'', Economics Letters, vol 47, 1995. (with J. Driffill)
- ''Optimal Labor Contracts may exhibit Wage Fluctuations due to Wage Discrimination'', l'Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, vol 37/37, 1995. (with H.J.Jacobsen)
- ''The Politics of Persuasion when Voters are Rational'', Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 97, 3, 1995.
- ''Polarization and Inefficient Policies", Review of Economic Studies, 63, 331-344, 1996
- ''Announcements and Credibility of Monetary Policy'', Oxford Economic Papers, 48, 673-680, 1996
- ''Wages and Employments in a Repeated Game with Revenue Fluctuations'', European Economic Review, 41, 147-162, 1997.
- "One Cow, One Vote", Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 99(4), 597-615, 1997 (with Svend Albæk)
- "On the relative advantage of cooperatives", Economics Letters, 59, 397-401, 1998 (with Svend Albaek)
- ''Limit pricing when incumbents have conflicting interests'', International Journal of Industrial Organization, 1999
- "Monetary Policy, Delegation and Polarization", Economic Journal, 1999
- "Local Public Goods, Debt and Migration", (with Tomas Sjöström), Journal of Public Economics, 2001
- “Policy Biases with voters’ uncertainty about the economy and the government”, European Economic Review, 2002
- “Export Cartels and Domestic Markets”, Journal of Industry Competition and Trade 2002
- "Price or Quantity in Tacit Collusion", with Luca Lambertini, Economics Letters 78, 2003, 131-137,
- "Market Transparency and Product Differentiation", Economics Letters 2004, 173-178
- "Public Debt, Migration and Shortsighted Politicians" 2004, (with Tomas Sjostrom) , Journal of Public Economic Theory, 2004, 6(5), 655-674
- "Adaptive Contracting: The Trial and Error Approach to Outsourcing", with Morten Bennedsen, Economic Theory, 25(1), 2005, 35-50
- "Transparency on the Consumer Side and Tacit Collusion", European Economic Review, 49, 279-297, 2005
- "Public Funding of Political Parties", with Ignacio Ortuno Ortin, Journal of Public Economic Theory, 2005
- “Strategic Campaigning and Redistributive Politics”, Economic Journal, 2007
- “Information, Polarization and Term Length in Democracy, Journal of Public Economics, 2008
- “Transparency and Product Differentiation”, Economics Letters, 2009
- “Arms’ Length Delegation of Public Services”, with Morten Bennedsen, Journal of Public Economics, 2011
- "Consumer poaching, brand switching, and price transparency", Economics Letters, 2014
Book-chapters and Danish journals
- 1. ''A General Equilibrium View of Unemployment'', in R. Lund and P. Pedersen, eds:''Unemployment: Theory, Policy and Structure'', Walter de Gruyter and Co. Berlin, New York, 1987 (with H.J. Jacobsen)
- 2. '' Imperfekt konkurrence og arbejdsloeshed'', (in danish: Imperfect Competition and Unemployment), Nationaloekonomisk Tidsskrift, 1991
- 3. ''Unequal Pay for Equal Work'', Nationaloekonomisk Tidsskrift, no 3, 1992 (with H.J. Jacobsen)
- 4. '' Efficiency, Enforceability and Acyclical Wages'', in Dixon, H. and N. Rankin, eds. ''The new Macroeconomics, Imperfect Markets, and Policy Effectiveness'', Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- "Industriøkonomi" (with Peter Mølgaard, Per Overgaard and Stephen Martin), in C. Hjort-Andersen, ed. Udviklingslinier i Økonomisk Teori, DJØF-forlag, 2000 (in Danish: ”Industrial Organization”).
- ”Varemærket i Økonomisk Teori”, with Per Overgaard in ”125R-Varemærkeloven 1880-2005 – et overblik”. Patent og Varemærkestyrelsen and DJØF’s forlag
- ”Institutions, Equilibria and Efficiency”, Schultz, C and K. Vind (eds.), Studies in Economic Theory 25, Springer
- “Public Funding of Political Parties with Informative Campaigning”, with Ignacio Ortuno-Ortin, 2009
- “Virtual Capacity and Competition”, 2009
- “Collusion in Markets with Imperfect Price Information on both Sides”, 2009
- "Regional Redistribution and Migration", mimeo 1999, (with Paolo Manasse).
- "Divide the Dollar, a Model of Interregional Redistributive Politics", mimeo 2000 (with Ignacio Ortuno Ortin).
- "Price vs Quantity in a Repeated Differentiated Duopoly", mimeo 2000 (with Luca Lambertini),
Contributions to "Den Store Danske Encyklopædi", (The Danish Encyclopedia).
Columns in the major Danish newspapers: Berlingske Tidende, Politiken, Information and Børsen.
Reports on the Faeorese Economy 1998, 1999. (as member of the prime minister’s advisory committee on the Faeroese economy), with Arne Larsen, Bjarne Skafte and Svend Engmose